Tuesday, August 1, 2017

War Games

A couple of days ago a Chicago Sun Times headline grabbed my attention: “North Korea missiles have range to hit Chicago.

I almost cared enough to read the story.

Thinking better of it, I turned to my favorite newsman, Stephen Colbert, and as always he delivered.

I have a hard time believing Chicagoans will be scared by this. Okay? For Pete’s sake, the Cubs won the World Series! They already know the end is near.

Something else grabbed my attention just moments ago…fighter jets, circling my home.

I understand they were practice-bombing a bridge a couple of miles from my house. The sights and sounds were stunning. For about 15 minutes I watched in awe—the climbing, the diving, the synchronized soaring. It was spectacular.

Three thoughts tumbled into my reverie.

1) I’m glad they’re on our side.

2) I’m sure glad it’s only practice.

3) People who think their guns are protecting them from the government are delusional. (I’d be very surprised to learn that the fighter-pilots observed me gawking into the sky with my mouth open and thought: I’m glad he’s on our side.)

Sidebar: I know. Dead is dead. But “From my cold dead hands!” is so much sexier than “From my incinerated bits & pieces!” Forget Charlton Heston. Not even Liam Neeson’s pulling that off.

My ruminations grow a bit more somber now as I think about why the USA conducts war games.

It plays war around us to wage war around others. 

Thus, the display of raw power that mesmerized me looks and sounds a bit different to those who are being terrorized by a dispassionate deluge of death and destruction. 

This is the way of Empire but it’s not the Way of Jesus. Nowhere does Jesus teach His followers to kill their way to peace.

Jesus comments, “My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives” (Jn 14:27). Jesus’ disciples knew who Jesus meant by “the world.” It was plastered on city walls, engraved on columns and stamped on coins. The Roman Empire prided herself on peace, the famed Pax Romana. . . . The United States is famed worldwide for Pax Americana, for bringing peace the same way the Romans did. . . . We should not confuse Pax Americana with the Christian way. We need to stop writing scripture verses on the sides of bombs. (Richards and O’Brien, “Misreading Scripture With Western Eyes,” p. 185)

Bombs with Bible verses? Eat your heart out, North Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment