Wednesday, January 4, 2017

2016 In The Books

 My own eyes are not enough for me, I will see through those of others. . . . In reading great literature I become a thousand men and yet remain myself. Like a night sky in the Greek poem, I see with a myriad of eyes, but it is still I who see.
~C.S. Lewis

I’d like to share a list of influential books I read in 2016—one for each month and in no particular order.

The list isn’t an affirmation of all the things contained in the works; but simply an enumeration of writings which shaped, enlivened, informed, challenged, or reinforced my thinking in the past year.

1. “The Great and Holy War: How WWI Became A Religious Crusade,” Philip Jenkins

2. “Renovation of the Heart,” Dallas Willard

3. “C.S. Lewis On Scripture,” Michael J. Christensen

4. “Two Views On Women In Ministry,” various contributors

5. “Divine Foreknowledge: Four Views,” Boyd, Hunt, Craig, and Helm

6. “Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire,” Jim Cymbala

7. “The Faith of Christopher Hitchens,” Larry Alex Taunton

8. “Is God To Blame?” Greg Boyd

9. “The Jesus Way,” Eugene H. Peterson

10. “The Scandal of The Evangelical Mind,” Mark A. Noll

11. “The Sin of Certainty,” Peter Enns

12. “American Nations,” Colin Woodard

The above books, and all books, should be read in conjunction with and through the lens of God’s holy word, The Bible. As I like to advise: Eat the meat and spit out the bones. 

Read carefully, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment