Saturday, September 17, 2016

Pawns & Presidents

Remember when Justice Antonin Scalia died? (It was waaay back in February.) There were actually people on the Left who celebrated his death. I recall reading all sorts of nasty comments.

I thought of this the other day as I read folks on the Right gleefully speaking of Hillary Clinton’s being sick. Obviously, neither the Left nor the Right has monopolized meanness.

What’s wrong with us that we delight in death and sickness?

As I was ruminating on these things another thought intruded: You should pray for Hillary.

So, I did. “Father, please heal Hillary Clinton physically and spiritually.”

Short.
Simple.
Sincere.

Another alien thought immediately presented itself: You should pray for Donald too.

So, I did. “Father, please make Donald Trump physically and spiritually whole.”

And God moved.

I’ve no way of knowing if anything happened (or will happen) with Hillary and Donald, but I know God responded to my prayers by changing my attitude.

You see, dear reader, I’ve never been a fan of either of these two people. It’s likely I never will be. But the animosity in my heart was suddenly gone; as though the Holy Spirit simply melted it all away.

What a glorious, light feeling!  

Suddenly I saw anew that these are two sinful, broken people savaging each other to the approbation of other sinful, broken people; all from within in a sinful, broken system.

The full reality is this: Hillary and Donald are pawns not saviors.

We are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 6:12)

I knew this already, but as we all know, there’s a difference between knowing and knowing.

I don’t presume to speak for anyone but myself, but I understand more clearly that my fight—the battle God is calling me to engage—isn’t against Hillary or Donald; but against the malignant spiritual forces maneuvering and manipulating them.

Hillary and Donald…neither has my vote. Both have my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment