Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Loving Homosexuals

Are you sick to death of gay rights stories parading the news every single week? Just when I think I’ve made it through a program without drag queen nuns with beadazzled bullhorns—there’s another menacing florist story. Or the Indiana legislature goes all Taliban. Or Presbyterians vote for more downsizing. On and on and on…

And here I am blogging about it.

Now, before I say too much, I want to be very clear: The crazy-angry gays on our TV screens are not our homosexual friends, neighbors or relatives. There’s a big difference between these agitators and the homosexual next door (unless of course, you have the misfortune of living next to a GLAADiator.)

So please understand: I’m not talking about the quiet, ordinary people with whom we interact every day. These folks are not threatening pizzerias or throwing condoms at Catholics. They’re not suing or harassing anyone. In fact, I’ve heard a few of them decry such things.

I’m talking about gay activists.

Gay activists don’t want our love. This is becoming increasingly apparent to me. I don’t even think they really want our acceptance. (Lawyers, lawsuits, and firings don’t exactly evoke love and acceptance.)

No, I think gay activists use force and intimidation so that we will fear them. They want to be feared. How empowering is it—to be feared? Gay activists want power and dominion more than freedom and equality. They don’t want folks liberated. They want them cowering.

Isn’t this what bullies do? Bullies know they are disliked because of their bullying. They know this. But here’s the thing: they prefer power to popularity—lunch money to lunch-mates.

A few days ago someone quipped that gay activists are winning nearly every battle and are some of the “sorest winners” imaginable. How far will the bullying go? I honestly don’t know. In my experience bullies will go as far as they are able. They push and push until someone cowers no more. The problem is gay bullies have allies with lots of money and influence. So…time will tell.

What to do?

I don’t have an answer for our legal or political woes. I suspect the genie is already out of the bottle. But there’s something we can do and nobody can stop us: Follow Jesus.

We aren’t going to “out hate” these folks. Hate isn’t our calling anyway. Ours is the way of love. They can’t stop our loving them. They can’t stop our praying for them. I know they don’t want our love any more than they want our Truth. But we’re not asking them. We don’t’ need their permission. We’re following Jesus.

Sometimes you gotta give people what they need rather than what they want.

2 comments:

  1. Many people reject Christianity because they don't think they'd be very good at it, or that it will some how erase their sense of self. Homosexuals have a biological drive that's somehow been altered so that they're attracted to those of their own sex. Those that I know are my friends. Most people aren't aware that many pre-pubescent kids 'fool around' out of curiousity but go on to be completely hetero when they become adults. Unless someone has been molested by an older or stronger boy or girl, it's difficult to understand same-sex attraction because they haven't ever had the experience which is often a very sweet one. When I became a Christian some years later, I had to come to grips with my sin and guilt and my inadequacy to "live the life" I assumed I should have been living. Sexual urges comprised a major slice of the guilt I felt as as a young believer. We didn't have any choice as our lives were shaped by the pull of a mixed-up world that has a kind of carnival atmosphere where just about anything is deemed socially acceptable. Now that I've become a senior I've learned that time and God aren't my enemies. Sex no longer has me by the scrotum and all the guilt that went along with its seemingly relentless grip. The Church's obsession with gay sexual attraction and the emphasis that it's somehow worse than other sexual sins has deep cultural roots and is a bias similar to others America has overcome. Yes, homosexuality is an abberent condition that must be addressed but so aren't all the other sins that so easily beset us. Our hope is in Jesus, is Jesus, who will lead us to victory over all of them both in this life and the life that that He has prepared for us in glory. The Church must in these difficult times be a fountain of healing waters to al those who suffer, To blindly condemn people is wrong and not a useful way of showing forth the love of God. We must look at sinners the way He did and follow his example of love and tolerance toward them since we also sin daily, Yes, homosexuality is a grave sin but it's to be excised by the work of the indwelling Spirt we all partake of. Since we share the bread of Life in this troubled world, we too must work to show forth the excellency of his life-changing love and power over all that exalts itself above God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and thinking, Dave.

      Delete