Tuesday, February 17, 2015

WWJD—Who Would Jesus Divide?

Waaaayy back in 2013, in response to my “Hath God Said?” article, I received the following little note of encouragement:

“The bible is often better read and understood by non believers . . . showing how idiotic some theists are...because divisive Steve's of the world effect us all. and, i'll stand on their side [the side of unbelievers] any day of the week! christ-like my ass!”

I offer a two-fold rejoinder.

First, I think it would be rather counterproductive for me to mount an argument in favor of my own Christ-likeness. I can’t imagine anything more distasteful than crowing about one’s personal holiness. Can you?

Second, it is, shall we say, counterintuitive, to regard the Lord Jesus Christ as being non-divisive.

That Jesus was just so relentlessly "non-divisive" goes a long way in explaining why He was crucified, doesn’t it? It also sheds light on what Christ meant when He said,

Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to “set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law”; and “a man’s enemies will be those of his own household” (Matthew 10:34-36).

A “non-divisive Jesus” goes against scripture and plain reason! The historical, biblical truth is our Lord was hated and despised then even as He is now. He came to His own and His own did not receive Him. And let us never forget our Master’s admonition:

If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. . . . Remember the word that I said to you, “A servant is not greater than his master.” If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you (John 15:18,20).

Suffice it to say, Jesus never experienced mild disapproval.

Jesus says we are blessed when folks revile and say “all kinds of evil against” us (Matthew 5:11). Well, this offended gentleman certainly blessed me. And I wouldn’t be at all surprised to receive another huge blessing any minute now.


No comments:

Post a Comment