Tuesday, January 6, 2015

2014 In The Books

My own eyes are not enough for me, I will see through those of others. . . . In reading great literature I become a thousand men and yet remain myself. Like a night sky in the Greek poem, I see with a myriad eyes, but it is still I who see.
~C.S. Lewis

I’ve seen some folks catalogue the most influential books they’ve ever read. Less ambitiously, I’d like to share a list of influential books I read in 2014—one for each month and in no particular order.

Obviously, this list in no way serves as an affirmation of all the things contained in the works; but it does enumerate books which shaped, enlivened, informed, challenged, or reinforced my thinking in the past year.

1. “Mein Kampf,” Adolf Hitler

2. “A Free People’s Suicide,” Os Guinness

3. “Young, Restless, No Longer Reformed,” Austin Fischer

4. “Warranted Christian Belief,” Alvin Plantinga

5. “The Dawkins Delusion?” Alister & Joanna McGrath

6. “Four Views On The Historical Adam,” various contributors

7. “Five Views on Biblical Inerrancy,” various contributors

8. “Darwin’s Doubt,” Stephen Meyer

9. “The Lost World of Genesis One,” John H. Walton

10. “Scripture And The Authority of God,” N.T. Wright

11. “The Lost History of Christianity,” Philip Jenkins

12. “The Dark Side of Camelot,” Seymour M. Hersh

The above books, and all books, should be read in conjunction with and through the lens of God’s holy word, The Bible. As I like to advise: Eat the meat and spit out the bones.

Read carefully, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment